Daily Archives: November 16, 2009

Michael Jackson’s Doctor Appears Before Judge Today in Las Vegas Court

Dr. Conrad Murray, the physician at the heart of Michael Jackson’s ongoing death investigation, appeared in Clark County Family Court today in Las Vegas because of his delinquent child support payments. 

In a surprise move, the child’s mother agreed to not force him to pay the $14,000 in back child support payments. Going forth, however, Murray will be required to pay $1,003 a month. 

Murray appeared to explain why he’s fallen behind in the support payments to a California woman and her son. 

Murray’s attorney, Christopher Aaron, argued that his client is unable to get work because of Michael Jackson’s death publicity. 

Dr. Murray admits giving proponyl to Jackson just before his death.

When the hearing was over, city marshals also made a rare move, blocking the media from leaving the courtroom. They let Murray get to his car and leave before they allowed media out of the courtroom. 

“They were making a decision that they needed to protect the safety of others in the building. They wanted to maintain a level of decorum throughout the building,” said court spokesman Michael Sommermeyer. 

Aaron says Murray had to close his medical practice and move due to personal threats following Jackson’s death June 25.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Las Vegas, news, Uncategorized

Slipnot/Stone Sour Frontman Corey Taylor Weds Stephanie Lub in Las Vegas on Nov. 13

According to People.com, Slipknot/Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor married Stephanie Luby on ‘lucky’ Friday, Nov. 13 at Las Vegas’ Palms Casino & Hotel, where the wedding party walked down the aisle to Metallica’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls”. 

Approximately 350 wedding guests packed the hotel’s nearby Pearl Concert Theater, including Sugar Ray’s Mark McGrath, as well as Camp Freddy’s Dave Navarro and Billy Morrison, who acted as the minister. The rockers then all took the stage, and even the groom joined in on three songs.

This is Taylor’s second marriage.

Taylor, 35, has two children: A daughter named Angie, born in 1992, and a son named Griffin, born in 2002, both of whom he had with his first wife, Scarlett.

Taylor divorced Scarlett — whom he married on March 11, 2004 in a small ceremony at the Botanical center in Des Moines, Iowa — in early 2007. 

In the November 2008 issue of Revolver magazine, he is quoted as saying, “After I got sober, I realized my relationship wasn’t right for me. My wife and I had damaged each other too much.”

Leave a comment

Filed under entertainment, Las Vegas, Music, news, Uncategorized

Asian Megastar Rain Plans Rare U.S. Appearance in Las Vegas

Extremely popular Korean superstar Rain, 27, promoted by J-Tune Entertainment, has announced he will play his first American concerts in three years when he headlines The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas Dec. 24-25. 

Rain is one of the very first Asian pop singing stars who has a rapidly growing fan base extending beyond Asia. 

Rain’s last American concert also took place at The Colsseum in December 2006. The Caesars shows will be the first in the U.S. since the end of the lawsuit brought against the singer for canceling concerts in Los Angeles and Hawaii in 2007. 

This concert marks be the U.S. leg of his “Legend of Rainism” tour that took place in Japan in August and in South Korea last month. 

Rain is also on an American press junket to promote “Ninja Assassin,” a Hollywood extreme action movie produced by James McTeigue, in which the South Korean-born star, whose real name is Jeong Ji-hoon, plays the lead role of Raizo, an orphan who is trained by a secret ninja clan to become a deadly killer. 

Amazingly, Rain pulled off 90-percent of the stunt roles, using minimal wire support. He was hurt on many occasions, and though he didn’t break any bones he bears “many scars of honor.” 

It is also the first time a Korean star is playing the title role in a major Hollywood franchise. 

The modern martial arts flick is the South Korean superstar’s second collaboration with the creators of  “The Matrix” series. He made his Hollywood debut in “Speed Racer,” which was directed by the Wachowski brothers. 

Before playing in Las Vegas, Rain performs a two-night stand at AsiaWorld-Arena in Hong Kong Nov. 28-29, followed by a Dec. 3 gig at Jakarta International Event & Convention Center in Jakarta, Indonesia. 

Links:  Web  http://www.rain-jihoon.com/main.html  and http://www.rainism.com and MySpace http://www.myspace.com/officialrainusa

1 Comment

Filed under entertainment, Las Vegas, Music, news, Performances, travel, Uncategorized

Bette Midler to Leave Caesars in Las Vegas in January

Caesars Palace in Las Vegas is losing its Colosseum headliner in a few months and has had to hustle to replace her. BetteMidler

Bette Midler is wrapping up her two-year run in “The Showgirl Must Go On” in January. Cher has stepped up to fill the void and has added to her contract shows in April and May. 

“What a fabulous two years this has been, and I thank AEG and Caesars Palace for the best partnership a showgirl could imagine.  Who knows?  These legs have had such a great run in the desert—it may be time to haul them to places with more humidity and fewer slot machines.  But first I need to finish recording my album of the sexiest new love songs that only a showgirl could sing,” stated Midler. 

“Bette is one of the most talented, hard working professionals in the business and we would have loved for her to stay longer, said John Meglen, co-CEO and President of AEG Live/Concerts West. “All of us at AEG Live thank Bette and the entire cast, crew and staff for a great two year run at The Colosseum.” 

“Like every one of her performances, the approaching finale of Bette’s two-year engagement leaves us applauding for more,” said Gary Selesner, president of Caesars Palace. “Bette always will have a home at Caesars Palace.” 

The Showgirl Must Go On will perform November 7 through 15 and December 30 through January 31, 2010. The show is dark Monday, Thursday and occasional Fridays. Tickets for these final performances are on-sale now at Ticketmaster.com, keyword “Bette Midler”, by calling 1-877-7BETTEM, or in person at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace Box Office in Las Vegas, which is open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Leave a comment

Filed under entertainment, Las Vegas, Music, news, Performances, Uncategorized

Hey, Steve Wynn, can you spare a dime?

As most everyone, casino mogul Steve Wynn has gone through some cash woes this year, what with his impending divorce and bad stock performance.  But things are apparently looking up for Stevie… 

Last week Wynn Resorts, Ltd. announced it will pay its shareholders a $4-per-share dividend on Dec. 3, which will earn Steve Wynn, the casino operator’s founder and largest shareholder, a payment of at least $88.6 million- that’s M-I-L-L-I-O-N. 

Yep, the company’s board of directors authorized the special one-time $4 payment for shareholders of record as of Nov. 19.

According to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Wynn, the chairman and chief executive officer, holds more than 22.15 million of the company’s 123.11 million outstanding shares. 

The company, which operates Wynn Las Vegas, Encore, Wynn Macau, is building the $650 million Encore at Wynn Macau, and announced it was starting a regular cash dividend program next year.  It expects to pay 20 cents per share dividend in the first quarter. 

The one-time $4 payment will reportedly cost Wynn Resorts more than $492 million. 

The rich get richer.

Leave a comment

Filed under Las Vegas, news, Uncategorized

Rolling Strippers Prove Too Much for Las Vegas

As previously reported by Las Vegas Backstage Access on Nov. 11, live strippers cavorting on the back of a truck have now proved too much — even for Sin City. 

A Las Vegas strip club has agreed to stop an advertising promotion that involved hauling bikini-clad exotic dancers around in a truck down Las Vegas Boulevard with clear plastic sides. 

Larry Beard, marketing director of Deja Vu Showgirls in Las Vegas, said late last Friday that he’s taking his lawyer’s advice and parking the truck. 

“We’re going to respect the opinion of the folks that are against it,” Beard told The Associated Press. “We’re going to be good citizens and take it off the street.”

Beard had told the AP earlier this week that he was prepared to fight county leaders and others who thought the moving truck promotion was unseemly or unsafe.

“The girls are wearing more than the girls at the swimming pool wear,” Beard said this week. “Even though they’re not stripping and taking their clothes off I think people are offended because of the idea that they do.” 

The truck rolled for 13 nights along the Las Vegas Strip from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m., trying to lure customers to the club. Three sides had windows that weren’t tinted, offering views of the strippers dancing around a stripper pole. 

The tactic worked, with business booming almost twice what it was before the since the truck started going out, Beard said. 

“We even have cars and limos follow us to the club,” Beard said. 

The dancers were allowed to perform in the truck because it was classified as a vehicle for hire, which let the dancers ride in the back without seat belts, Beard said. 

Public outrage over the truck grew as pictures and videos of the truck surfaced on the Internet and a county commissioner in Las Vegas vowed to shut it down.

Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak said he got calls from citizens who hated it and others who liked it, but he considered the truck a safety problem. 

“It’s clearly a distraction,” Sisolak told the AP. “Somebody’s going to turn their head to look at some girl flipping upside-down and spinning on a pole, and take their eyes off the road and could swerve and pop up the sidewalk and plow into a bunch of tourists that are walking along.” 

Sisolak said he plans to try to close a loophole in local laws regulating mobile billboards.  The next commission meeting is tomorrow in Las Vegas. 

Regulations prohibit advertising vehicles that use animation or flashing lights, and Sisolak said he would try to prevent live entertainers from being used, too.

Meanwhile, he’s happy the club owners decided to park the truck. 

“Could they have won in court? That would have been a long, costly, time-exhaustive battle,” Sisolak said. “They clearly got a lot of publicity as it stands, which I’m sure made them happy.”

Leave a comment

Filed under entertainment, Las Vegas, news, Uncategorized