The Sahara in Las Vegas has quite a deal with Hawaiian Airlines: Buy a specially priced package for Hawaii residents and fly on Hawaiian Airlines and get a 5 percent discount on your air and two miles for every buck you spend at the property. You also can win one of these packages by texting Oceanic Vegas to 32862, or enter online at http://www.KimosVegas.com.
Tag Archives: Hawaii
The mob has been doing much less ‘planting’ nowadays. And with the many stalled and failed casino construction projects dotting the Las Vegas landscape brought on by an ever constricting economy, it’s no secret that Las Vegas has a ton – maybe two? – of ready and willing concrete at its disposal.
Grabbing this weighty waste opportunity, UNLV engineering students have built and are planning to race a buoyant concrete canoe in the fiercely competitive 2009 National ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on June 11-13.
But first they must clear the regional competition hurdle, finishing in the top five in competitions set from April 1 through 4 in Hawaii. About 20 teams are competing.
To win it will take equal parts of technical skill, creativity and determination.
Created from a year’s worth of blood, sweat, and tears, the slippery smooth, svelte 250-pound black, blue, and white canoe with a UNLV mosaic on the bottom, and the name Kiss Our Glass on the side, was engineered to be a precise 20 feet long and 30 inches wide. It has to be made that precise. That’s the rules.
The races, endurance, sprint, and slalom combined, count for 25 percent of the overall score. The remaining 75 percent is based equally on a submitted technical design paper that highlights the planning, development, testing and construction of the team’s canoe; a formal oral presentation, in which the team has to detail their canoe’s design, construction, racing ability and other innovative features, as well as defend their choices to the judges during a question and answer session; and the end product-the final racing canoe and project display, which is scored on aesthetics and visual presentation.
Tiffany Hearn, 22, the senior engineering student and captain of the UNLV canoe-building team, haunchos the seven-member team of other UNLV engineering students that are trying to field a winning canoe.
Engineering students at UNLV and all over the country do this every year. They enter local and regional competitions. A national champion is declared. Last year the University of Nevada, Reno won.
UNLV has never made it past the regional competition. Last year they came in 11th place, their best finish yet. Maybe a win is in their cards this year. Maybe it isn’t. That’s not the point.
“This is a big project that takes months to complete. They have to be able to work as a team,” said Bill Culbreth, an associate dean in UNLV’s college of engineering. “Most engineering projects will work that way.”
So it is that the national concrete canoe competition is more than a boat-building contest. It’s a metaphor for the real world — where there is not nor will there ever be a market for boats made of sand, glue and water.
Noe Santos, 21, the team member most responsible for figuring out how to make this particular blend of concrete, doesn’t even plan on working in that area after he graduates in May. He’ll be doing research on solar cells.
In the meantime, he and the rest of the UNLV team have spent at least 40 hours every week since May working on this canoe. “No Christmas vacation. No Valentine’s. No anything,” Hearn said.
Santos further explained that you can’t use just any old concrete – and, no, they didn’t use our scrap casino concrete – to make a canoe that actually works. The competition’s rules say the canoe must float back to the surface after being submerged. UNLV has never done well on that test.
The secret to the team’s confidence this year is the concrete concoction, which weighs in at 54 pounds per cubic foot, about 8 pounds lighter than water.
The concrete, lined with a carbon fiber reinforcing mesh and with tiny metal cables, is then blended with tiny glass bubbles and hollow glass beads about the size of ice cream sprinkles so the concrete has little air pockets inside.
In the past, UNLV’s teams have blended the concrete with rocks. They’ve had hits and misses, a couple of times suffering competition-ending catastrophic failures; the boats broke in half.
But not this year, the team members say.
The team took their boat out to a man-made lake at Desert Shores on March 14. They rowed in it. They sank it. But the good news it that it came right back up.
To work on their speed, team members have been practicing twice a week in a traditional fiberglass canoe. They’re getting pretty fast.
Las Vegas Backstage Access hopes the UNLV team is just fast enough- taking home their first win!