As previously reported by Las Vegas Backstage Access, the Monte Carlo magician has indeed called it quits after headlining and performing about 15,000 Las Vegas shows for the last 14 years. Lance Burton will close his Monte Carlo run in Las Vegas on Sept. 4.
Burton reports that the decision to leave was his, though he remains guarded and vague when it comes to providing specific reasons for his departure.
“About three ago I had a moment of clarity when it just all became clear to me that I’m not on the same page as the hotel,” Burton said, adding, he doesn’t plan to badmouth the hotel where he spent at least a third of his career and has a deep emotional connection.
Some say that Burton and MGM Mirage officials were at odds over budgeting and cost-cutting issues, but, Burton says, that’s not the primary reason he gave notice.
Magician Rick Thomas and his band of white tigers will open at the Sahara on or about July 1. Thomas has had a long career on the Las Vegas Strip, performing at the Tropicana and Stardust before his show at The Orleans closed in June 2007.
Thomas will do a mix of afternoon and evening shows in the theater built in 2000 by fellow magician Steve Wyrick.
Monte Carlo headliner Lance Burton will miss 19 shows after breaking his foot during his May 7 show in Las Vegas.
Burton is undergoing surgery in Las Vegas on Monday on his right foot, according to his publicist, Wayne Bernath.
The accident occurred 15 minutes into the show as Burton was preparing to do the floating bird cage act with Elvis the bird. When Elvis flew into the audience, Burton left the stage and retrieved the bird. The injury occurred when the entertainer twisted his right foot on the way up the steps. Burton finished the show despite considerable pain.