As previously reported by Las Vegas Backstage Access, the Monte Carlo magician has indeed called it quits after headlining and performing about 15,000 Las Vegas shows for the last 14 years. Lance Burton will close his Monte Carlo run in Las Vegas on Sept. 4.
Burton reports that the decision to leave was his, though he remains guarded and vague when it comes to providing specific reasons for his departure.
“About three ago I had a moment of clarity when it just all became clear to me that I’m not on the same page as the hotel,” Burton said, adding, he doesn’t plan to badmouth the hotel where he spent at least a third of his career and has a deep emotional connection.
Some say that Burton and MGM Mirage officials were at odds over budgeting and cost-cutting issues, but, Burton says, that’s not the primary reason he gave notice.
Monte Carlo headliner magician Lance Burton will be mysteriously and suddenly packing his magical Las Vegas suitcases and announcing his departure this week.
Lance Burton is ending his current six-year contract at the Monte Carlo at the end of this summer — five years earlier than planned.
Burton had headlined at the Monte Carlo casino resort for 13 years before renewing the deal last year that would have taken him to 2015.
With winter just officially being declared and nips of cold air and alcohol flowing in the veins and arteries of the denizens of Las Vegas, the Monte Carlo is joining in the spirit of the season, announcing a second Minus 5 Ice Lounge, in the space currently occupied by the Lance Burton Magic Show and an MGM Mirage Players Club kiosk.
The new boomerang-shaped lounge will be unveiled early-to-mid February and will not feature a lodge bar like its older sister in the Mandalay Place shops, though it will be 300 square feet larger.
From the outside, guests will be able to gaze through a regenerating ice wall at television screens inside. From there they will suite up in Minus 5’s gear including a parka, hat, mittens and booties to prepare guests for temperatures of 27 degrees Fahrenheit, not to mention $100,000 worth of icicles, chandeliers and ice chaise lounges complete with draped faux-animals skins.
Accommodating up to 110 guests (as opposed to just 65 at Mandalay Place), guests sip vodka cocktails from ice cups made from New Zealand water.
Up in the development air are new possibilities of a stripper pole and a fireplace– fire and ice gone wild?
After breaking his right foot during a show in May [previous Las Vegas Backstage Access article], magician Lance Burton is staying on the Las Vegas Strip for another six years.
Burton and the Monte Carlo hotel-casino said yesterday that they have agreed to a new contract that will keep him as the resort’s headliner through 2015.
The 49-year-old illusionist says he plans to return to the stage on Tuesday, July 7.
Burton began his Las Vegas career 27 years ago with an eight-week trial engagement at “Folies Bergere,” which turned into a nine-year run.