Fans of “Star Trek,” in its numerous incarnations, who also truly loved “Star Trek: The Experience” at the Las Vegas Hilton,” will surely feel they’ve died and been beamed up this Saturday in Las Vegas.
Popworx, the auction house that specializes in sales of television and movie assets, is holding the Star Trek auction at their warehouse (66 Spectrum Boulevard in Las Vegas) including various props and settings from the former Las Vegas resort hotel attraction. It was built during the era when Las Vegas thought it was going to be a family-friendly destination (what many call “The Bad Years”).
The sale focuses on the larger items from ‘ST:TE,’ including wall panels, furniture from Quark’s Bar, Starfleet costumes, and seats from the Klingon Encounter ride. Also on sale will be transporter room and hallway pieces from the Enterprise D replica that was part of the attraction.
The event takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Everything is cash and carry (so, rent that huge moving van now), and no credit cards will be accepted.
Bringing “Star Trek: The Experience” attraction to a Las Vegas 250,000-square-foot mall called Neonopolis is still on track despite the continuing economic downturn.
The attraction had been slated to coincide with the May 8 premiere of the “Star Trek” movie but it was called off.
Neonopolis owner’s representative Rohit Joshi says he’s been working with several consultants to design the attraction which could include more than one ride, a restaurant and bar and a Star Trek museum.
Joshi, however, won’t give a possible opening date for the attraction in downtown Las Vegas. He says it’s vital all details of the attraction be as faithful as possible to Star Trek history and lore.
An official with CBS Television Distribution in Los Angeles says the Neonopolis project is still in development and that CBS licensed the rights to the attraction to Joshi’s group.
It’s that time of the year again when Trekdom descends upon the Las Vegas Hilton for Star Trek Las Vegas from August 6 though 9, the world’s largest Star Trek convention. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are slated to appear on Sunday while Christopher Lloyd (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock) will appear on Saturday. New Spock Zachary Quinto will be appearing on Sunday as well. In fact, seventy guests from The Original Series all the way to the J.J. Abrams movie will be on hand.
Convention events include panels, autograph sessions galore, the vendor’s room, performances by various Trek celebrities, video and costume competitions, feasts, lunches and breakfasts with Quinto, Lloyd and many more.
Crime Scene Tourism is on its way to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The upcoming attraction, “CSI: The Experience,” is based on the popular CSI television series and is licensed by CBS Products, which also licensed the now defunct “Star Trek: The Experience” exhibit at the Las Vegas Hilton.
Not only are the myriad CSI series among the most popular programs on television, the original version of the show is set in Las Vegas. It was also created, written and co-produced by Las Vegan Anthony Zuiker.
The exhibit is expected to open this summer, with tickets priced at $30.
Droll comedian/actor Bob Newhart will be inducted into the NAB Broadcasting Hall of Fame during the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show Television Luncheon on April 20 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Newhart is being recognized for his contributions to entertainment which span comedy albums, two highly successful television series and several movies and guest appearances. The award will be given to Newhart by NAB President and CEO David K. Rehr.
Past NAB Broadcasting Hall of Fame television inductees include Bob Barker, Regis Philbin, The Tonight Show, and Star Trek.
The NAB Show will be April 18 through 23 at the Las Vegas Convention Center and Las Vegas Hilton. Exhibits will begin on April 20. NAB Show information: http://www.nabshow.com/2009/eventInfo/default.asp
For ten years, Trekkies made their regular pilgrimages to the Las Vegas Hilton visiting the Star Trek the Experience exhibit. They would belly up to the Quarks bar and meet Borg in a 4-D ride with Captain Kathryn Janeway. True fans would spend hours checking out the exhibits and reviewing the video timelines before embarking on a time-traveling shuttle ride. But with declining attendance and increasing costs, the decision was made by the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company to decommission the Experience on September 1, 2008.
Now, five months later, it has been announced that the Neonopolis, a three-story shopping center at the entrance of The Fremont Street Experience, will be the new home of Star Trek in Las Vegas. Neonopolis current tenants include the Galaxy movie theatres and Jillian’s restaurant.
The Quark-like restaurant and retail shop will hopefully be in business by the planned May 8 opening night of the latest movie in the Star Trek saga. However, the expectation is that the Star Trek museum and rides won’t be ready until 2010.
Before Chris Pine walks the red carpet during the May Star Trek movie premier this May, he will first be attending the ShoWest Final Night Banquet on Thursday, April 2 to accept the ShoWest Male Star of Tomorrow award.
Past winners of ShoWest Male Star of Tomorrow have included Emile Hirsch, Shia LaBeouf, Heath Ledger, and Matt Damon.
ShoWest is an annual event for motion picture professionals and theatre owners. This year it will be held at Bally’s and Paris Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas from March 30 through April 2.
Although current economic trends have cut into the entertainment budget of most families, ShoWest provides an opportunity for theatre owners and operators to find enhancements and offer incentives that will not only bring those crowds back but keep them at the theatre longer.